Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Skinny on Breakfast

My morning routine is based around two of my favorite things: trashy tv & eggs. I'd rather wake up a half hour early just so I can watch a TiVoed episode of The Real Housewives, Jersey Shore or Top Model while eating a warm breakfast. Both of these quick & healthy recipes can be fixed during a commercial break and contain less than 250 calories each!

Turkey Egg-White Scramble w/ Baby-Heirloom Tomato Salad
  • 1-2 slice(s) turkey deli meat
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1/8 cup shredded skim mozzarella cheese
  • 6 baby heirloom tomatoes (or any tomato on hand)
  • handful of fresh basil leaves
  • olive oil
  • fresh ground salt & pepper
  • cooking spray


Coat a pan with cooking spray and tear the deli meat into small pieces. Saute until starts to brown. Add egg whites and scramble in pan, when eggs are almost ready sprinkle in cheese. Meanwhile slice tomatoes and basil, drizzle with olive oil & toss in small bowl. Serve tomato salad over egg scramble, season with salt & pepper to taste. Pairs well with reality tv :)

Better Bagel Breakfast Sandwich
  • 1 whole wheat Bagel Thin (Thomas makes a 110 calorie bagel, you could also sub a whole wheat english muffin)
  • 1 whole egg OR 2 egg whites
  • nonfat cream cheese spread
  • few slices red onion
  • few slices tomato
  • fresh dill
  • salt & pepper
  • hot sauce (optional)
  • cooking spray


Coat a pan with cooking spray and fry whole egg, careful to leave yolk intact (I have an either/or with whole egg vs whites to keep calories within 250). While egg cooks, toast bagel thin and spread with a thin layer of cream cheese. Remove egg from heat once cooked and place on bagel half. On still hot pan, saute tomato slices and onion for a minute & sprinkle with fresh ground salt & pepper. Top over egg and add a few fresh dill pieces. I like to cut sandwich in half to break the yolk & add hot sauce for a delicious sandwich dip! Pairs well with dramatic teen soap operas.

Brands I Like:
Sharing is caring, so I'll always point out brand items I use. For the Bagel Breakfast Sandwich, I used Thomas brand 100% whole wheat Bagel Thins. Because my lactose intolerance seems to be getting worse & worse, instead of nonfat cream cheese I often use this Soya Kaas non-dairy spread.


No comments:

Post a Comment